Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Baja Missions Trip

Mother {Dulce} with her 4 kids and her sister on right.

It was so good to get home Saturday evening, but I have to tell you I left a part of my heart in Tijuana Mexico. I'm honored and humbled  that I was able to take this trip. I'll never take the littlest things for granted, or complain about pot holes again. The team I was on built one of the 6 houses that went up that week. This week another Missions Team is their. Another 6 houses. 12 houses total in 2 weeks. Glory to God!!
We lived on water & pb&j while out on the mission field. Our water bottle was our **Best Friend** We took it everywhere we went. We could not drink their water {would get sick} and we could not share ours with them. : (
Three girls from my team got sick during the week. Dehydrated. It was well over 100 degrees everyday with no humidity. Nights were 55-60*

Each day  M-Th was a daily routine. Every morning I woke up at 3-4 am to the sounds of a Donkey.... hee hawing and the Rooster... crowing. I'll never forget those sounds.  : ) 
Every morning  at 5:30 am we were all  awoken by worship music, breakfast at 6-6:30. {cereal} Worship time  6:30-7, Quite time, {personal journaling/bible reading} 7-7:30. Than we got together with our teams at 7:30, left by bus at 8 am to go back on  the mission field.

 Every day at 1:00 pm we had vbs {vacation bible school} with the kids, and everyday the group of kids got bigger. We had 67 kids on Thursday.  Many kids had accepted Jesus Christ as there personal  savior for the very first time. : D
 We left the mission field daily by 3:30-4pm Everyday the kids would ask us if we were coming back the next day at 1:00. Thursday we had to tell them no we weren't coming back. A lot of them cried. Saying good-bye was so hard on all of us.
There was a little boy named Alexander he had to be about 7 years old. The first few days we were their he was biting and kicking everyone that got close to him. The kids would all ask for "Capuche"  which means piggy back rides. Alexander would bite and kick you. By Thursday  Alex was a lot nicer and wasn't so mean, but than his cousin tried to stab him with a screwdriver.  Please pray for them and all of Tijuana.
Everyday & everywhere we went  was an Eye Opening Kodak Moment for me. There were just over 300 missionary's that went on this trip. Just seeing how these people have to live on a day to day basics broke our hearts. Even getting enough  food and water to survive was a struggle for them. 
We had pb&j sandwiches everyday for lunch, and a snack/orange. I gave my snack away to the son and him & his little sister were fighting over it. He slapped her on the arm and said NO! in Spanish 
Our teams went out everyday {we had a spanish translator} either working on the house or going door to door inviting families to vbs, offering prayer,  or our services to help with whatever they needed help with,  laundry, cleaning, or even digging a trench for a water line to go from one house to another.
Monday {19th} our team started building the house. {We weren't allowed to bring cameras the first day} Only Team Leaders. I may be able to get some  pics  from the first day.

In order for families to be eligible for a free house to be built my Missionary's.
#1) they had to own the land they lived on.
#2) They had to apply an application to Baja Christian Ministries.
Then from there, the word is sent out through internet ~ Teen Mania/ Global Expeditions and  missions groups are formed all over the world. I have to say that this was the first missions trip i went on. And Yes, I would do it again, even without the Newsboys being there!! : )
What pure joy and excitement  it was for me to pound those nails & framing the house together, and standing up the very first wall.

Please enjoy the photo album I put together. Sorry it  took so long posting,  I couldn't find the right code.... I narrowed it down to 150 photos {with some comments pertaining to each photos}.... I took over 400  
Friday was our Free day. We went to Rosarito Beach for the day shopping.

If you have any questions you would like to ask me about my trip, you can post them in a comment or e mail me at  kariberry97@yahoo.com  I would be more than happy to answer them if i can.

Thank you for your  Love, Prayers, Support, and Sweet Comments!!


The Newsboys

Jody,Jeff, Me, Michael, Duncan
How fun was this!

7 comments:

Sharli said...

Kari,
I'm so glad you are home safely and that you found the week important! God puts us in places that we need to be . . .

Hugs!

Sparkle said...

I'm glad you're home safe and had a wonderful trip!

Flying high in the sky.... said...

God bless you... am very happy that you are back ..and i can see you had a memorable trip...very very pleased to read your post...take care

Kathi C. said...

I waited to post until after I'd had time to view all of the photos in your album. What a wonderful experience you had and an equally wonderful thing that you did. God bless you, Kari! I am glad you are home again.

Alanna said...

What a wonderful time it sounds like you had. Busy and tiring I'm sure but well worth it.

Will you be scrapping some of these wonderful pictures?

Julie said...

I'm off to see the album. I'm so glad you made it back safe and sound. It was an adventure of a life time. I'm proud of you for all that you did. Thank you for sharing.
Okay, off to te pictures. Take care and God Bless!!

Julie said...

Hey, just checked out your pictures. WOW!!!! You guys did amazing things in Mexico. Thank you for putting the pictures together and adding words to lots of them.
Take care and God Bless!!!